Redneck

The loud mouth in the corner's getting to me, talking 'bout my earrings and my hair. . . guess he ain't read the signs that say I've been to prison, someone oughta warn him before I knock him off his chair. . . cuz my long hair just can't cover up my redneck, I've won every fight I ever fought...

I've never been to prison or purposely knocked anyone off their chair, although I am known as a "loud mouth" at times. Sunday, I went to church and really connected with the message on "Repent, for the time of the Lord is at Hand."

When I think of Repent, I'm reminded of the church my family attended when I was young. It was a definite religious, holy-rolling church. Although my parents were faithful members, they did not buy into all the religious rules that went with the denomination. They made sure that my brother and I knew just where they stood but when members came to our house, they did close the doors of the entertainment system to hide the tv.

As far as I can remember, most of the crazy rules were directed at women. No jewelry but I think a watch was permissible, no make-up although the Assistant Pastor's Wife looked like a ghost covered in baby powder each Sunday, no pants for women but coolots (spelling?) were allowed, no haircuts for women although I swear some had wispy bangs, these were some rules to name a few.

Mom and Dad obeyed the rules at least around church folk. Reading this, you might think "hypocrite," but I think of it like the seat belt law. You might not wear the thing if given the choice but since it's law, you obey at least if there's a cop around.

Just got sidetracked, back to Repent. I can remember Friday Night Prayer Meetings when the church would get together and "repent" for "backsliding" through the week. With all the repenting and backsliding, It didn't seem like much was gained except maybe the blessed assurance of knowing Friday's prayer meeting was just a few days away to rescue you from your backsliding ways throughout the week.

With so much emphasis on getting right at the end of each week, I worried then and sometimes even now on whether I sufficiently repented for sin no matter how great or small so that if Jesus comes tomorrow I will be lifted into the great by and by with the rest of the saints. What if I didn't remember a sin done early in the week therefore it would never make it into the sea of forgetfullness. What if I sinned and didn't even realize it was a sin, what would happen then. Oh, and repent didn't mean just ask for forgiveness, from the way I remember alot of begging, pleading, and loud wailing had to commence before the elders would give the okay by rejoicing Hallelujahs and Song.

The message this past Sunday was on Repent meaning more about changing your focus rather than the above drama. Not to say that you shouldn't ask for forgiveness but there must be something more than the above cycle. I know I 've heard messages on repentance meaning change but they always seem to fade into the shadow of the alter call at the end of the service. Does this make any sense?

So, leaving church I realized just how much all the religious mumbo jumbo in my life really clouded Him and that although I wouldn't take nothing for my journey now . . . I want to see Him clearly . . . "as my personal savior Jesus Christ" . . . just couldn't help myself, the Halftime Preacher Saturday at Baby Girl's last Basketball game must have said my personal savior a gazillion times in the 10 minute plea for all us sinners to repent and be saved.

Now, what does the title of my blog Redneck and the opening paragraph which I must give credit is David Allen Coe's song Long Haired Redneck possibly the best country song ever written, have to do with my post on repent. Well, I left church ,like Obama entered office ,riding high on the message of change, went to Baby Girl's T-Ball practice, and after 1 hour of watching my daughter stuck in center field while all the coach's kids in the infield play ball, I was closer than ever before of knocking someones teeth down their throat. How do you like that for change.

I was literally shaken with anger and when I couldn't stand it one more minute, I lunged off the bleachers and forced myself to my car to wait out the rest of the practice otherwise I could not be responsible for the words out of mouth or the physical well-being of the 4 coaches on the field. I'm sounding pretty redneck, I know. After stewing over this for several hours, my friends advised me to give it a couple of practices and see what happens. Did I mention this was only the second practice, first practice on the softball field.

You know, when I get like this I don't stop calling friends for advice until I find the one who tells me what I want to hear. So Redneck, I know. But I finally found one friend with the right advice Sunday evening and by Monday morning, I have my own T-Ball Team, problem solved.

I guess Friday night you'll find me at the prayer meeting repenting and Saturday morning coaching T-Ball.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Manicures, Massages, and Margaritas

Tutoring Moments

Shawndra Turner