Tball Games

Well, my team lost a game today. We are 1 of 7 teams in our league. We've played and beat all the other teams except one. Unlike us, they are a 2nd year team and it shows. We lost the first game of the season to them and then again today. Losing stinks :-(

In our league, whoever gets the coin toss to bat first has the advantage because they not only get to bat first but also last due to the 60 minute time limit rule. We were hoping to win the toss, but no such luck (not sure it would have made a difference today) Our girls had a great 1st inning. Usually tball games are high scoring because teams don't get outs. Innings end with a team reaching their 6 run limit not by getting 3 outs. Anyway, the 1st inning our girls grabbed 3 outs, stopping them with only 4 runs. We batted and scored 6 runs and therefore were up by 2. You could tell by their coaches reactions, they weren't use to losing.

For whatever reason, we fell apart after that inning and lost the game. Our girls played the rest of the game in tears showing that we haven't had much experience with losing either. It was not fun. Encouragement and pep talks didn't help. Hubby thinks we should have won the game, that the girls just gave up. I think we are an awesome 1st year team, but they had experience on their side.

We won the second game, no problem. I knew we would, we beat them the time before 22 to 5. After the first inning, Hubby knew I was gonna move the girls around to give all a chance to shine. I mean, it is the whole reason I pulled Baby Girl off that first team. How can I, with a clear conscious, do that to someone else's kid? He doesn't agree and said it would be better to keep our strong girls in the same positions so we can whoop it on the Bad News Bears as paybacks for the other team beating us. Don't get me wrong, I love my husbands fierce intensity. I would hate to be married to someone who didn't give a rip. Right or wrong, he ain't no girly man. I understand his competitive nature, I'm extremely competitive too. But I guess, the mom in me now keeps the competitiveness in check, at least sometimes.

When looking for tball ideas online, I came across a coach who awards a "game ball" after each game. It's not the actual game ball but I don't think our girls know that. Anyway, I buy a ball and after each game regardless if we win or lose, the coaches and I decide who gets it based on the performance of the girls not awarded yet. We write the team name (RZR's), the girl's name and the game number on the ball. The girls go nuts at the end of the game waiting to see who won the game ball.

Our team clown, who is usually found in the outfield drawing circles in the grass, played 3rd base some that last game. You should have seen her face the first time she grabbed a ball and got an out at 3rd base, talk about priceless. She made several more outs and won the game ball with her family there cheering her on.

Although we lost the first game, the game ball went to a girl who started this year terrified of the ball. When you threw it to her, she'd use her glove as a hard hat and duck for cover. She still does at times. After the 1st inning, the other team quit hitting towards our 3rd baseman and shortstop because they were getting outs. Instead, they hit on the other side of the field singling out my terrified one. She somehow swallowed her fear and stopped every ball that was hit her direction and there were alot. Although she wasn't able to turn them into outs, she didn't let even one ball get past her, what an accomplishment! I guess, she never expected to win a game ball because pure shock is the only way to describe her reaction.

While some parents including myself didn't leave the ball field quite as chipper as the other Saturdays when we won, the girls left happy and smiling.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Manicures, Massages, and Margaritas

Tutoring Moments

Shawndra Turner