Children's Church

Last Sunday, I woke up in a mood not a great start for Sunday morning.

Running late as usual, I jumped in the shower, grabbed my robe and checked on the kids in all about 5 minutes. You would not believe the mess in Baby Girl's room. I swear, it looked like they had every toy from Her bedroom, Little Man as well as the Entire Neighborhood in heaps on her floor. Noting I need to go through their toys, I yelled "You have 10 minutes to get it cleaned up" as I picked out clothes for church. Now, I knew there was no way possible to have it all cleaned up that fast but I was hoping for at least halfway. It's crazy, my kids can literally destroy a room in a second without so much as an argument, but take eternity to clean it up fighting every step of the way. "He's not cleaning up . . . She's too slow . . . He's not doing it right . . . and on and on it goes!

I was dressed, makeup on and ready to walk out the door a short 10 minutes later. The kids are fighting still in pjs surrounded by toys. Giving up on a clean room, I had them dress, brush their teeth and hair as we bolt for the door. I had to stop by Walmart to pick up glue sticks for Children's Church and donuts for my kids showing some mercy . . . starvation might be just a little extreme.

I can waltz in and out of Walmart in minutes but not when I'm running late, teaching Children's Church and in a bad mood. I entered through Lawn and Garden thinking it would be faster but at checkout, the cashier was MIA. After a few minutes, I along with a few other customers gave up and headed for the front of the store. It was like a Nascar Race. We were walking in full out sprints, cutting each other off at the pass, trying to be the first to the front checkout. With my purchase, I headed back to the garden department, contemplating giving the now present cashier the bird as I headed out of the store. Unlike Sam's, Walmart rarely stops to inspect your bag and receipt but I guess the doorman thought I was trying to make a break for it with my donuts and glue sticks because I was stopped.

Even with all of that, I made it to church only 7 minutes late. While waiting for the kids to be dismissed from church, I gave my kids their donuts (breakfast of champions) as I looked over my lesson. I had a topic and some activities picked out, I just needed one or two scriptures to go with it. Yea, actual bible scriptures might be important. Not remembering where the fruits of the spirit are in the bible, I turned to the back. Even with my glasses, I could NOT read the print. I'm not even 40 and already need freak'n bifocals. Little Man found the scripture just as the kids were dismissed from church.

Early in the school year, I signed up to help with the kids because let's face it, it would look impressive on my Supermom resume. I was assigned to the toddlers every 5th Sunday. While I should have been more than happy with my assignment, I was a little disappointed and wished I could teach the older kids, little did I know. Married couples were assigned to them and since Hubby doesn't attend church with me, I was not picked. Exclusion is not always a bad thing, be careful what you wish for . . .

A few months ago, I was approached by a frustrated teacher concerning children's church. Her husband is in the military and inevitably is called away for weekend duty on their Sunday with the kids. She was at her wit's end doing it by herself and asked if I wanted to take her place. While I should have been warned by the desperation in her face, I gladly accepted the job.

My first day, I decided to teach them a song in sign language. When I was young, some friends and I would sign during Praise and Worship at our church. I loved it and even to this day when a familiar song is played, I want to sign. It's goofy but the connection I feel when signing is like what I imagine a singer feels with singing a song or a dancer with a dance. Anyway, I thought the kids would enjoy it too. I picked a song played often at our church, freshened up on my signing skills online, practiced teaching it with my kids (who were actually excited about it), recruited my mom to help and was ready for Children's Church. While most participated, the kids were more interested in playing outside then signing. Being optimistic, I thought next time will be better.

My church is extremely easy going and laid back. I always considered it as positive never negative, until maybe now. One Sunday during song service, a friend and I were standing at the back surrounded by kids dancing and playing around us. She mentioned that her kids could never go back to a traditional, structured church. Again, I thought this is okay at least the kids are having fun and not made to sit in a pew quiet as a mouse through long, boring church services.

Anyway, last Sunday I was prepared with a short lesson and a couple of fun activities. It has rained so much over the past couple of weeks, I should have done a lesson on Noah and maybe built an ark. Realizing the kids couldn't go outside to run off excess energy, bad mood or not, I'd have to be on my toes. They came in wild and crazy as I quickly corralled them into their seats and prepared for the first activity.

Taking my lesson from Little Man being called a Buck Tooth Peanut Head earlier this week, I asked if anyone had ever been called a name or called another person a name? This sparked some good but extremely loud discussion because everyone was talking at the same time. Only after several attempts did I regain their attention for a brief moment, as I reminded them to keep it down so we don't disturb their parents in the sanctuary. Children's Church is basically in the foyer of the little sanctuary, only a set of glass, double doors separate the two. I must have said "Not so loud" a million times with little to no affect on the kids.

In the lesson, I tried to talk over them as I continued with how our words can either build someone up or destroy them. The saying, "Sticks and Stones may break our bones, but words will never hurt me" is not true. We are known by our words like a tree for its fruit. They continued to grow antsy and louder by the second.

As we started the first activity, I explained how we need to use words to build bridges rather than tear people down. I divided them into 3 equal groups, had each group form a line and gave the leader a roll of toilet paper. Working together, they had to unravel the toilet paper by passing it from person to person, alternating between legs and above their head until they had any empty roll. They had fun but as you could imagine, it was loud.

Next, I separated them among 3 tables, passed out strips of paper, and instructed them to write down a compliment for each person at their table (around 6 people). I gave them examples like "Smart, Funny, Pretty Smile, Cool Shoes, Great Football Player, etc... Afterwards, they were suppose to give them to one another and use the glue sticks to form a chain with the nice words they had received. This activity was too long for their short attention spans.

This time I thought I had a good lesson and plenty of activities to keep their active bodies busy but still like before. we teetered on the verge of chaos the whole time. Thank God, church finally ended and the adults made their way our direction. As I picked up toilet paper, color pencils and glue sticks, I watched the kids go crazy around their parents. With the exception of one adult (not the kid's parent) asking the loudest child to quit screaming, all were oblivious to the craziness. It's like the kids are without any limits whatsoever, a total free for all. They can get loud, wrestle, and run with total disregard for where they are, who they're around, or anything. I watched as the boy who was asked to quit yelling pick up a statue from a bookcase . If he dropped it, it would break. He didn't care as he tossed it around in his hands. It's funny, I didn't notice the behavior so much before my attempt at Children's Church.

During all the commotion, a man stopped me while noticing a paper chain left on a table and said I was doing a great job. Thinking he was joking, I quickly apologized for all the racket during service. He said he didn't mind and that he was just glad the kids were in church having fun.

Don't get me wrong, I want to teach Children's church and I do think kids should have fun. However, I don't think church should be just like Chuckie Cheese.

Comments

Michele said…
I'm exhausted just reading this:)
Linda said…
Oh my gosh! I could have written this exact post. I teach Children's Church as well for the past two years. The first year I came home every week either crying or telling my husband I was quitting. I was under the impression before I started that the kids WANTED to learn about the bible stories. All they cared about was getting a snack which was gradually stopped when I took the class because I didn't like it that each week my kids left no longer hungry for lunch. They were so loud and rowdy. I have rowdy kids at home and didn't want to go to church and teach more rowdy kids. Now, after two years the rowdiest have moved up to another class and I have a more structured manageable class. Keep it up, it will get better.
Barbara's blog said…
I can't imagine doing what you do. I've taught all kinds of church classes plus teaching 6th, 7th and 8th grades. Wore me out royally. I was asked recently if I'd like to help with the 2 year olds. I wanted to shout, "NO!" but didn't. No way could I bring myself to do that again.
Being Supermom must be exhausting, but someone's got to do it. (By the way, you can say "No", too.)

Popular posts from this blog

Manicures, Massages, and Margaritas

Tutoring Moments

Shawndra Turner