When I was 18

Below is an email I received a few days ago. It brought back so many great memories.

When I was 18 yrs old, my goal was to eliminate all prejudice and racism starting in Jackson, Tn and then in the world. I attended a COGIC church (Church of God in Christ), one of the largest black Christian denominations in the world. With me attending, the church was integrated and that was a start towards my colorblind world. (I really thought I was something, huh)

Anyway, I got involved in the youth program and attempted to really impact their lives. Truth is, they impacted my life more than I ever impacted their lives.

We put on a play at the church. The play was "Down by the Creek Bank" written by Dottie Rambo. It was a play my brother and I did at the old Pentecostal church we attended as kids. It's about as country as you can get. Before my kids, I considered those kids and that play my biggest accomplishment.

We had a gazillion play practices leading up to the big night. After practice, I would load as many kids as I could (12 plus) inside my car. When seats were full with bodies, I 'd open my hatchback and pile more in. I'd take them home. Many lived in a project, one considered the worst in Jackson. There was only one street in and out, it would make a big loop, one way. I might be scared now thinking of the area, insurance, kids not in seat belts and more, but it didn't phase me then.

While I loved them all, one particular little girl stole my heart. She was incredibly cute but even more than that had the biggest personality I'd ever seen. I brought her home with me to Tulsa for a couple of weeks. She said that when she grew up she was going to go to Oral Roberts University. We took her to Lake Keystone, just had so much fun with her. I remember sitting on my bed with her and my mom looking at her hair after a day spent on the lake. She was passing out from a day of fun in the sun as Mom and I tried to brush her hair. She looked like Buckwheat by the time we gave up and called a friend to help.

I often thought about her through the years. I can't tell you how excited I am that she and her family are doing so well. Check out the email below.

Hi Pastor and First Lady,

I hope this email finds you and the family in good health and basking in the joy of the lord. I hope you remember me. I had a chance to write you a while back saying hello. I was looking on the COGIC website and I thought of you and First Lady Porter. I remember all the times my family would come over and fellowship with you all. I just wanted to give you an update on myself and family since we haven't had a chance to come visit; however I do hope to come visit soon.

I graduated May 10, 2008 with a Bachelors of Science Degree in Information Systems with a concentration in Systems Development and Analysis. I currently work for AT&T as a Project Manager in IL (Northwest Suburb of Chicago).

You know I was a little girl when we moved away from Jackson and I'm now 21. It's been a great year for me but also one of my most difficult ones because I'm really growing up. I graduated, started a career, moved into an apartment, and purchased a car. I've been making adult decisions and learning to trust God. I was very scared and nervous about working in a Corporate environment and being in the 'Real World' but God has comforted me so much and is helping me though the process. I really miss being at home but it shows that I'm really maturing and developing into a beautiful Woman of God.

I plan on attending graduate school next fall to earn a MBA and eventually I want to start a nonprofit organization on the Southside of Chicago. My ultimate goal and passion in life is to help people and work for the ministry. So, now I've been saving and networking with different people so I can really do the outreach that I love to do.

My mother is doing great. She's working hard as always and still involved in the church. She's our Sunday School Superintendent. My sisters are growing up as well. This year my mother will have a 22 year old, 19 yr old, and 17 yr old. We all attend the same church, so I get to see them on weekends.

My sister is a sophomore in college majoring in Pre-Vet and the baby is a junior in High School. She really enjoys singing. Well, I wanted to stay in touch with you and First Lady and hopefully we will get to visit soon. I love you all and I will continue to pray for you all as well. A big hug from me to you all!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Manicures, Massages, and Margaritas

Tutoring Moments

Shawndra Turner