Turn the Radio On

I've spent the better part of this day doing the normal stuff with the radio on. I thought a little boot scoot'in country music might help lighten the mood or else the kids and I just might not make it through this day. One of the 1st songs played moved us towards a happier place, "Beer in Mexico" by Kenny Chesney. The kids immediately shout, "Hey Mom, It's one of your favorites." We jump up, turn it up, and proceed to bounce around the office singing each line louder than the last. Should I worry that my 4 year old knows every word to that beer drinking song? Naaaah . . . At an early age I could sing most of the lines to such classics as "Take This Job and Shove It," "Family Tradition" and "Why Don't We Get Drunk and Screw."

Anyway, after a few songs, my reliable radio station started a "Care for Kids" radio-thon to raise money for a local hospital. The one where Baby Girl was born. I probably should have immediately switched stations but as hubby says, "I'm a bleeding heart." Now, between the heart-wrenching stories from kids going through chemo, parents left helplessly watching their babies in ICU, and the nurses and doctors talking about their jobs and how any donation would help, I've been in tears all morning and most of the afternoon.

Now, here I am, plowing through my normal day to day wondering is there anything the kids won't fight over, can life get any more stressful, and then BAM. . . you're knocked down with stories from those facing the inconceivable. Those precious little ones, my own kids age, fighting for their lives. Talk about putting life into perspective.

I just turned on the TV and a interstate bridge collapsed in Minneapolis during rush hour traffic. At this point, they're saying more than 50 vehicles went into the Mississippi River.

Tonight, I'm giving thanks to God for my family's health, safety, and well. . . in a nut shell. . . our crazy life. God, pour out your love and strength to those families facing the unimaginable tonight.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Manicures, Massages, and Margaritas

Tutoring Moments

Shawndra Turner