Beautiful Eyes

This morning, like most, Baby Girl and I were side by side in front of the bathroom mirror putting on make-up. As I'm scrutinizing my face trying to cover wrinkles, dark circles, and such,
she's humming happily while the make-up sponge dabs her nose, the blush brush tickles her cheeks, and the white eyeshadow decorates her eyelids and occasionally her forehead. While this is a total job for me, it's nothing short of fun for her. As she approaches perfection, she grabs the hand-held mirror for a closer look. While studying herself in the mirror, she smiles and says, "Oh, Such Pretty Eyes!" On the other hand, I've surrendered to the fact, it's as good as it's gonna get for the day, I start putting the make-up away. She grabs that same mirror and insists I take a look. To appease her, I bend down to look as she catches my eye in the mirror and says, " Oh Mama, such beautiful eyes!" I know there's a fine line between confident and conceited, but what I'd give if she could continue to see beauty in herself and others each day for the rest of her life.

On the whole, our gender spends too much time agonizing over our looks. Growing up, I remember every time my mom would pass by a mirror, she would pause, grab at her stomach to see how much she could pinch at that moment. The weight she was and still is concerned about has never exceeded 5 to 10 pounds. I'm just as guilty, obsessed with diets, exercise, and such. I've even began recording my weight each day on the mirror in our bathroom, how crazy is that? Men don't do this, Why do we? (sigh)

Comments

SuperMom said…
Because of men. It's all their fault. Even if it's not, it is.

Popular posts from this blog

Manicures, Massages, and Margaritas

Tutoring Moments

Shawndra Turner