Where to Begin

Blogging after you haven't blogged in a while is really difficult. Where do you start? Do you wait for that one really funny, cute story to inspire you. . . I mean the story has got to be all that and a bag of chips. I guess, I'll just jump in head first and let the words fall where they may.

Our business was like a rollercoaster this year. The ride had a slow start as always. It gave me plenty of time to ponder the million and one ways we could fail. It continually picked up speed until I could barely keep up. Like mother like daughter, I'm terrible with delegating work. I mean, our business is mylife, my passion, and sometimes my escape, truth be known. I've tried to delegate jobs out, but no one cares as much as I do and a good enough job is never good enough for me. I don't know, it's a illness, I guess. Somehow, I made it to the end of the ride for this year and everything just stopped with the exception of some odds and ends. (inventory/paperwork) You're running 90 to nothing and then you're at a dead stop. Weeks before, I felt like I was running on fumes, I couldn't wait for this day. But now that it's here, it's harder than I expected. My mind is consumed with ways I could work this summer away. I don't think it's what I really want to do, I know it's not what hubby wants, but I can't stop feeling that I should be working. You know, it's crazy, why is slowing down so difficult?

To calm the beast, I've busied myself around the house. We had wood floors put in our dining room and down the hallway. They are beautiful and well worth the money. Last week, we found chairs that match our dining room table, they are also beautiful. Those chairs have been a long time coming, we actually found the table last summer and knew it was perfect for us. We've used folding chairs since last summer. The crazy thing is that I didn't even notice them... I know they stuck out like a sore thumb, but they really didn't bother me. Well, not until we had company. . our guests would always comment on the beautiful table and then I'd feel the need to make a joke or apologize for the chairs. Anyway, the chairs we found are absolutely a perfect match.

We are having a pool put in our backyard. We used to spend all summer at the lake, but in the past couple years, all of our friends have sold their boats and jet skis, including us. I'm not sure if it was gas prices or just loss of interest. Anyway, we chose a pool over a boat. A week ago, they came and dug the hole, put the sides of the pool up, and said see ya on Monday. That was Friday and it began raining on Saturday and didn't stop for a week straight. Looks like a bomb dropped right in our backyard. It kinda resembles the lake, the pool is full of muddy water. I was describing it to my friend who said, "Sounds like Poltergeist!" So now on top of stress of a destroyed back yard, I'm having nightmares of dead people, all I need is for baby girl to say, "They're here...." The sales guy promised we'd be swimming by Memorial Day, we'll see.

Little Man is wrapping up First Grade. I couldn't be prouder in some ways. I mean, look at how far we've come. But then I'm reminded of how far we have yet to go. . . sigh . . . The teacher says he's one of the brightest in her class but also the child most easily distracted. I float back and remember the first parent-teacher conference. . . her words were, he is a joy to have in class. Now, with two weeks left of school, he's making her eat those words. I've tried promises of rewards, threats of punishment, heck now it's about surviving each day by any means possible. Here's the question, Is little man really in the dark bound by his immaturity not able to see what everyone else sees or is he so smart that he's playing everyone like a fiddle with me at top of the list? That is the million dollar question.

Baby Girl is like sunshine until the dark clouds roll in. That girl has more confidance in her pinky finger than I do in my whole body but she also gives a new definition to the word bossy. She declares she is a princess and attempts to rule over her domain which includes mommy, daddy, brother, grandma, papa, and anyone else who might be around. She runs everywhere she goes and is as tough as nails rarely crying over skinned knees and such. I'm reminded of when she was a toddler. We were walking in a store and she was behind me calling mommy. I heard her but do not give her my attention at first, all the while her hand was stuck in a door. Her voice never waivered, she just kept calling for me. If it was me, I would have been yelling my head off. At the old house, she was at the barn with daddy. Again, she was a toddler. Daddy was burning brush when baby girl walked up to him, held out her arm, and said I have a boo, boo. She had a piece of wood bigger than a toothpick buried in her wrist. She did not shed one tear, not even when he was digging it out. I'm telling you, this girl is tough.

My parents are moving back home. They'll be living right down the road, I couldn't be happier. It's been really hard for me since they moved away, thank God for cell phones or I would have never made it.

That kinda sums up the past few weeks, I could go on but it's 5:00 and time to start thinking of dinner.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Manicures, Massages, and Margaritas

Tutoring Moments

Shawndra Turner